Cookies Consent

Friday, February 23, 2018

German/European Technology I like . . . Part 1

As I see technology that I like here, I'm going to snap a picture with my phone (it's an old Nokia Windows phone, so won't be all that sharp like Ruth's iPad) and share a post or two. Just so you know - we're not talking high-tech here. Just practical, interesting, helpful ways of making life more convenient or secure or fun or just different from the USA.


As you enter each room in our apartment and most of the rooms in the church you will find an outlet immediately below every light switch. Between my back, my knees and my Bauch, when I bend down to tie my shoes I look around for anything else I can do while I'm down there . . . So, you can imagine how delighted I am whenever I need to vacuum here.  I never have to bend down to plug in the vacuum - I just plug it in under the light switch!


Something I remember well from living in Marburg: towel warmers/dryers.  Since most buildings in this city are heated with hot water (like our home in Scottdale), these warmers are ubiquitous. This one is in the kitchen at the Gemeindehaus.  How wonderful for drying towels, and imagine how nice on a cold winter morning to step out of your shower and have a warm towel!  And, here these little add-ons to your heating system only cost about $50-75 each.


In Germany's efforts to reduce electrical consumption and slow the rate of climate change (which they believe IS man-made), they passed rules for manufacturers and retailers that they could no longer sell coffee makers with hot plates (like the classic Mr Coffee).  Here, the newer coffee makers go directly into vacuum coffee pots that keep the coffee warm for a long time. Some have a separate top that you screw on to keep the coffee hot - these from Melitta are designed so the pot lid snap onto the top and self-seal after the coffee drips into the pot. No more "electrical trickle" or flood when the hot plate is left running long after the coffee is ready.

Some time ago I had seen one of these in the States, but the Cuisineart maker was over $100. Because these are now the norm, you can buy this maker with TWO canisters/thermal pots for €31 (about $36 US).

More to come later as I wander about . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment