Cookies Consent

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Recent happy times


Sunday after church we were invited to friends of ours.  She is a social worker and has already given us information and useful advice.  In addition to that, the family has stocked us with ever so many practical items and some delicious ones too.  When we arrived there was a cute little box of the loveliest tiny delicious German Christmas cookies.  I wish I'd taken a picture before eating them all.  This Sunday they provided a wonderful meal and then even sent us home with cherry cake and homemade granola!
Their three sons are as wonderful as the parents.  Jack works with the husband on building the youth room in our basement.  They share a sense of humor and interest in similar topics.  Everyone in this family speaks great English and yet they all stick to German for us.  We really appreciate this!  The teen sons are interested in spending time in the States.  Both are football fans (unusual for G) and stayed up to see the first part of the Superbowl.


  Ben brought out his hockey game and beat the two of us in every game!  
He also came to the 5-7 p.m. sewing time.  No, not to sew.  Friedenshaus provides homework help for the children of our students.  Jack and I are very impressed that the teens from the congregation show up every Monday to do this!  Yesterday I got to "escape"knotting downstairs and help too, because they had so many kids and some needed help with English.  I ended up getting my laptop and printing off some dinosaur pictures and texts for one of the  4th grade girls' project.  She was delighted with the pictures we found.  Really cute kid.
The title of this post is happy times.  The lovely, inexpensive fairtrade cut flowers brighten our lives.  The new coffee maker with a pot that is a fantastic thermos is from the above family as well.  Coffee makers with hot plates, like ours at home, are not allowed here any more.  The white triangle doesn't show up as well as I wanted.  She sent 3 pieces of cake in it and the door just slides open and keeps even the fanciest cake pieces in tact.  Of course, you see the plates are empty.  I always think of pictures after the fact!!
But Jack took a picture this morning of my first hair cut in LU.  I really like it.  The hairdresser came originally from Tunesia, married a German, and has been here 30 years.  We had a nice chat and I look forward to going back in five weeks. 
Another happy surprise was our local art museum, just down the street.  There are so many different pictures I could include.  I'm choosing this Barlach, a sculptor I've always been drawn to.
A selfie from today's viewing of Star Wars in 3D, a gift from our children.  I only closed my eyes a few times when the fighting scenes got too long.  We enjoyed hearing it in German. They did a good job of dubbing.  I guess this is a good problem - so many happy times that I could just go on ...and on... 

No comments:

Post a Comment