Cookies Consent

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Frankfurt part 2 - roots

My father, Peter J Dyck, was a young boy in Russia, whose life was saved by one of the early food distributions by the newly formed Mennonite Central Committee (MCC).  Check out 1 min video


We lived in Frankfurt from 1957 - 67 because my father was MCC director for Europe and North Africa.  When we visited the old MCC house, the present pastor showed us this sample can she'd "inherited" from the post-war help MCC gave the German Mennonites and the Russian Mennonite refugees.

The Eysseneckstr. 54 housed the Mennonite church downstairs then as it still does today.


The MCC offices and living quarters have been changed into apartments.


Both Rebecca and I were happy to see the beautiful staircase that still leads up four flights and then we got to climb the last steep attic stairs to where our mother packed parcels for Mennonites in Russia.  She did this on behalf of their relatives in the U.S. and Canada, for whom it was not possible in those days.  She would buy all kinds of specific tools and items they needed in addition to donated clothing and shoes.


Rebecca expressed my feelings also, when she recently wrote: "I guess what struck me was the opposite of "you can't go home again"; obviously the city has changed and so have we, but it was very comforting to sort of have my memories confirmed, by the places and by you. I somehow feel more rooted now."

No comments:

Post a Comment